In the video world, the time lag between the instant a frame is captured and the instant that frame is displayed is called glass-to-glass latency. Research has shown that an operator’s ability to accurately perform precision manual tasks or surgical tasks decreases when glass-to-glass latency exceeds a 300 to 500 ms range.
Euresys can now reduce the glass-to-glass latency to less than 100ms in full HD, in specific conditions with a dedicated decoder. Euresys has recently developed a low latency video encoder, designed for remote control of industrial processes in critical or hazardous areas. With the Picolo.net encoder, operators will be able to control machines, cranes or robots from afar with an improved response time, thanks to the advanced technologies implemented to stream full HD video over an IP network.
- H.264 is efficient: Up to 40 cameras can stream low-latency video over a Gigabit Ethernet network
- The highest quality HD video can be streamed, viewed, analyzed and stored anywhere on an IP network
High definition video streaming
Endoscopic techniques are less invasive and are becoming more frequent in operating rooms. The smaller incisions generate less pain and facilitate a quick recovery. Cameras and monitors are used by the surgeon to visualize the operative field. The surgeons are hence more dependent on real time images.
Nowadays, a recent operating room in a hospital will typically include 10 cameras and monitors. Every medical device can be connected to the IP network and displayed on one or several monitors, inside or outside the operating room.
The images can be streamed to any rooms of the hospital, which allows collaboration with peer surgeons or pathologists. Students or other staff members do not need to be in the operating room and can be at a conference room location.
High-definition low latency video streaming over IP for remote control
- Remote control of cranes. In container terminals, ship-to-shore cranes are controlled remotely. The operators are located in a control station hundreds of meters from the crane and really enjoy the comfortable and ergonomic working position. They are sitting in an armchair, triggering movements with a joystick and buttons and looking at monitors showing images from the cameras. Motion sickness is no more a problem. Remote control made it possible to increase the speed of the crane and to decrease the container loading cycle time.
- Remote control of drones. Drones can be equipped with high definition cameras for a more precise control and a more detailed inspection. The video streams can be encoded onboard and streamed over the Wi-Fi network to the ground station where they will be processed and archived.
High-definition low latency video streaming over IP
Example: Critical infrastructure
- Off-shore drilling platforms
- Oil, gas production, pipelines
- Petrochemical refineries
- Power plants
- Factories / manufacturing plants
High-definition low latency video streaming over IP for factory surveillance
In a manufacturing workshop, up to 40 cameras and encoders can be connected to the local (specific) IP network. Any image stream can be displayed on any monitor connected to the network. An operator can monitor or control several machines at the same time.
The 2 MPixels camera and a powerful lens allow the operator to see the sharpest details of the scene. The comfort and the safety of the operator is improved as they can sit far away from the hazardous working area.
High-definition low latency video streaming over IP on oil rigs
Surveillance of critical infrastructure: Drilling is a hazardous operation and the presence of workers in the nearby should be avoided on the drilling floor, close to the turntable.
Tele-operated solutions allow to ensure the safety of operators in hazardous or isolated locations, like oil rigs. It is often hard to find people willing to work in such places and, in the future, one can also imagine unmanned platforms operated from the shore.
High-definition low latency video streaming over IP in mines
In open pit mines, unmanned trucks or excavators can be controlled safely from a remote location. The operators we can now benefit from the air conditioning and a reduced ambient noise. As a consequence, operator fatigue is reduced, with a direct influence on the reduction of errors and downtime in daily operations.
High-definition low latency video streaming over IP 1
Surveillance of casinos
High-definition low latency video streaming over IP 2
Video transmission for education, training